This week’s recipe is one of my hubby’s absolute favorites. He’s a Mississippi boy and grew up on his mama’s fried chicken.
Well, this isn’t it. But it’s…um…probably as close as I’ll ever get!
You see, when he married me, my poor hubby could actually cook better than I could. I had no.clue. Really. The only things I knew how to cook were: chicken pot pie, spaghetti pie and taco pie.
If it didn’t have pie in the name, I couldn’t make it.
Anyway, I still am not great at frying. I always seem to burn things when I try that particular method of cooking.
But almost-fried (using the oven?!)? Now that’s something I can do!
Without further ado, check out this week’s recipe for Almost-Fried Chicken Tenders–and scroll down for this week’s meal plan!
|Image by nosheep|
- • 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips/tenders*
- • 1/2 cup whole wheat (or GF) bread crumbs
- • 1/8-1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- • 1 Tbsp. dried parsley
- • 1/2 clove chopped garlic
- • 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- • 1/8 tsp. dried thyme
- • pinch of black pepper
- • 1/8 cup olive oil
- 1. Place oil in one medium bowl and mix all seasonings, cheese and bread crumbs in another medium bowl.
- 2. Dip chicken into oil, then coat it with the bread crumb/seasonings mixture.
- 3. Bake for 25 minutes on 400 F or until no longer pink in the middle.
- *There is no reason why you can't use bone-in chicken breasts or even thighs, legs, etc.
- GF: Use GF bread crumbs and spices.
- DF: Leave out cheese.
If you’re looking for a place to get affordable chicken in bulk, check out Zaycon Foods. I have been getting chicken breasts there for as low as $1.69/lb! Zaycon also carries other meats, including wild Argentine shrimp! Their prices are typically a fraction of the price you would pay in the grocery store! Check out Zaycon here.
|Image by sontran|
Meal Plan for 10/31-11/6
Lunch-salmon pasta salad
Dinner-Modern Alternative Mama’s sausage & peppers from Against the Grain
Breakfast-Gallo Pinto-a traditional Costa Rican breakfast (recipe coming Wednesday!)
Lunch-leftovers/salmon pasta salad
Dinner-almost-fried chicken tenders (recipe above), mashed potatoes, green beans
Lunch-Kitchen Stewarship’s black bean soup
Lunch-black bean soup
Dinner-rotisserie-style chicken in the crock pot, easy oven-roasted potatoes, broccoli or salad
Lunch-chicken taco soup
What’s on your menu this week?
Did you hear about the sale on The Everything Beans book?! Get it for $3 off, using code:FALL4BEANS! I will get a small percentage if you use my affiliate code, here. And THANK YOU if you do! I love this book!
Did you hear about the great sale over at Keeper of the Home for the remainder of the Plan It, Don’t Panic challenge? Stephanie’s selling her Real Food on a Real Budget ebook for 50% off! I own and LOVE this book! Use code MEALPLAN50! Get the book here. (This is my affiliate link.)
- via RSS (like Google Reader/Google Friends Connect) here
- Subscribe to receive every post (3-4 times/week) via e-mail here
- Subscribe for weekly e-mails here
- Find me on Facebook here
- Follow me on Twitter here