This month’s Homemade Homemaking recipe is for bread crumbs. It’s SO incredibly easy that, after you try it, you’ll wonder why in the world you never thought of this before!
(Or, maybe you have…maybe I was the only one buying bread crumbs from the store!)
When we first married, I used bread crumbs–a lot. I used them to top the cream-of-chicken soup casseroles I baked almost every night. I used them on my hubby’s favorite “almost”-fried chicken tenders. And I even used them on veggie dishes like my mom’s cheesy green bean casserole.
Then, one day…oh, about a year ago or so, I looked at the ingredients label. And I shuddered.
MSG. Soybean oil. And the list could go on.
I tossed those bread crumbs out, looked at a loaf of bread and wondered: “How hard could this be?”
It’s not! Really, it’s so easy!
Without further ado, here’s this month’s recipe for homemade bread crumbs!
- 1 loaf of bread
- 1 stick butter
- salt and pepper, to taste
- parsley or other seasonings, to taste (if you want seasoned bread crumbs)
1. Chop loaf of bread very finely in chopper or food processor. (You can leave the crumbs chunkier if you like bigger, chunkier bread crumbs. I like them like this. My hubby does not. Hence, I chop mine finely.)
2. Melt butter in a stock pot. Add bread crumbs.
3. Quickly stir to coat bread crumbs in butter. Keep stirring until the sound of the coated bread crumbs starts to sound like sand on the beach. (I know this sounds strange, but, trust me, you will get it once you try this.)
4. Sprinkle desired amount of salt, pepper and other seasonings on bread crumbs. Store in an airtight container.
These crumbs will keep in your pantry for months–and you know exactly what’s in them! No additives here–especially if you use Stacy’s homemade honey oat bread to make them!
Have you ever made homemade bread crumbs? What’s your favorite recipe?