My little girl has several food intolerances–namely to gluten, egg and dairy. Although I can sometimes still get very overwhelmed at the challenge this poses to cooking and baking, I’ve learned that with just a few simple changes, I can bring back our old favorites–and she really doesn’t have to miss out at all.
I created the following recipe for healthier allergy-friendly Christmas cut-out cookies last year. They are egg, dairy, gluten, soy and even refined-sugar free!
I hope you enjoy them as much as we do!
Healthier Allergy-Friendly Christmas Cutout Cookies
- 2 cups + 1/3 cup + 1/4 cup all-purpose GF flour (I use Bob’s Red Mill, but you can make your own.)
- 1 cup sucanat
- 7 Tbsp. chilled palm shortening
- 1/2 tsp. xanthan gum
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- extra cinnamon/sucanat for sprinkling
1. Mix together flour, xanthan gum, cinnamon, sucanat, baking soda and salt.
2. Add mixed ingredients to food processor and add in chilled shortening.
3. Pulse until well blended and crumbly.
4. Add honey, water and vanilla. Continue processing until dough forms.
5. Place dough in a greased ball and knead until you can form a ball. Then, separate dough into two balls.
6. Press dough onto greased parchment paper lined on a large baking sheet.
7. Roll until about 1/8 in. in thickness.
8. Cut into shapes with cookie cutters.
9. Let sit in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
10. Bake in a preheated oven at 320 degrees for 25 minutes.
11. Sprinkle with sucanat and cinnamon or decorate with icing and sprinkles!
Enjoy!! (Note: You can also use this exact same recipe to make allergy-friendly graham crackers! That’s actually what I first did with this recipe! We then used the crackers to make an edible, healthy, allergy-friendly “gingerbread” house!)
Please visit my sponsors:
Sweet Little Blessings: Meeting all your cloth diapering needs–with FREE shipping on all order over $40!
Plan to Eat: Meal planning made simple.
The Glass Baby Bottle: Eco-friendly, Toxin Free Essentials for Babies & Toddlers & Kids