It’s been said that the way to a man’s heart is through his stomach.
My husband’s love language is gifts, so, with him at least, this old adage rings true. And it’s often the homemade desserts that he appreciates the most.
But with the advent of our whole foods lifestyle about five years ago, there are many old desserts I had to give up making. Then, almost three years ago, we discovered that our oldest child needs to be gluten and dairy-free (and egg-free, too, actually). And, between then and now, we’ve discovered that all of us have at least a small gluten and dairy sensitivity.
Going gluten and dairy free can be overwhelming at first. Desserts? It just seems easier to go without them!
The good news is that there are many, many naturally-sweetened desserts that are both gluten and dairy-free that taste just as good as those made with white sugar, wheat and dairy.
Check out the following list of healthier, homemade chocolate desserts—all sweetened with either honey, maple syrup or stevia and all either gluten and dairy-free or very easily adapted to be so. Enjoy!
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Chocolate Cakes & Pies
15. Gluten-Free Chocolate Quinoa Cake (substitute in non-dairy milk and natural sweetener)
19. Hot Fudge Cake
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Chocolate Candies
22. Anti-Aging Chocolate (with goji berries and raw cacao!)
34. Almond Joy Fudge
35. Healthy Chocolate Candy (aka Cocoa Crack)
39. No Cake Cake Pops (substitute Earth Balance or coconut oil for the butter)
40. Real Food Chocolate Fudge (substitute in non-dairy milk and coconut oil)
image by adoproducciones
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Chocolate Frozen Treats, Mousses & Puddings
45. Nutritious Chocolate Pudding (use dairy-free milk)
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Chocolate Brownies & Bars
56. 37-Calorie Brownies (substitute in non-dairy milk, coconut or almond yogurt and stevia)
62. Gluten-Free Chocolate Peppermint Cookie Bars (substitute in natural sweetener)
67. Quinoa Brownies
69. Rich and Delicious Brownies (substitute in coconut oil)
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Chocolate Cookies
77. Healthy Oreos
79. Flourless Fudge Chocolate Chip Cookies (substitute in powdered sucanat)
83. Chocolate Peanut Butter Brownie Cookies (made with black beans!)
86. Spiced Chili Chocolate Cookies (substitute in honey for agave)
91. Double Chocolate Chip Cookies (substitute in Earth Balance for the butter)
image by Public Domain Pictures
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Chocolate Crepes, Scones, Pastries, Muffins, Breads & Doughnuts
98. Chocolate Brownie Doughnuts (substitute in coconut oil or Earth Balance):
What is your favorite chocolate dessert? Have you ever tried making any gluten-free, dairy-free chocolate desserts?