Disclosure: I have included affiliate links in this post.
Guest post by Trisha of Intoxicated on Life
Going gluten-free (or grain-free) is rarely an easy transition. It’s not fun. Everyone thinks you’re a bit strange. And what are you supposed to eat without bread, pasta, and cookies?! Seriously, life is hard when you’re gluten free (alright, I may exaggerate). But there definitely are challenges!
- Some must deal with being wheat-free despite being surrounded by their gluten-loving family members.
- Others have trouble coping with wheat withdrawal (headaches, cravings, anxiety, irritability – eek!)
- Others wrestle with faith questions: is it right to cast off wheat while reading a bread-filled Bible?
- Others just run out of good ideas for meals that don’t involve troublesome grains!
After a lot of research my husband and I decided that going wheat-free was the right move for our family. While this was a slight learning curve for our taste buds, it was a big learning curve in the kitchen! I had to come up with good snack ideas for the kids. I had to find new ways to make desserts. I had to find good resources for gluten-free recipes and advice.
Recently I compiled several of my family’s favorites in a new cookbook: Grain-Free Goodies: Favorite Grain-Free and Sugar-Free Recipes from Our Kitchen to Yours. You can snag it for free on my website!
This recipe, from the cookbook, is one of my family’s favorites: coconut key-lime cake. My husband is a fan of all things involving key limes!
Key-Lime Coconut Cake Recipe
- • 6 large eggs
- • 1/4 cup coconut milk
- • 1/4 cup xylitol
- • 1/8 teaspoon stevia
- • 1/2 teaspoon lime zest
- • 3 Tablespoons key lime juice (approximately 3 limes)
- • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- • 1/2 cup coconut flour
- • 1/2 cup coconut flakes
- • 1/4 cup coconut oil
- • 3/4 cup coconut oil
- • 1/4 cup powdered xylitol
- • 1 teaspoon lime zest
- • 1 teaspoon vanilla
- • pinch of salt
- • 1/4 cup toasted coconut flakes
- 1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x9 square pan with coconut oil.
- 2. Melt 1/4 cup of coconut oil and let it cool while preparing your other ingredients.
- 3. Beat eggs, coconut milk, xylitol, stevia, and key lime juice until well combined.
- 4. Mix baking powder, salt, lime zest, coconut flour, and coconut flakes together in a separate bowl.
- 5. Beat the two mixtures together and then add the coconut oil.
- 6. Pour the cake batter in the 9x9 pan and bake at 350 degrees for 35 - 40 minutes.
- 7. Allow the cake to thoroughly cool before making icing.
- 1. Melt coconut oil and xylitol over medium heat.
- 2. When xylitol is melted into the coconut oil, remove from heat and add lime zest, vanilla, and salt.
- 3. Let cool in the refrigerator for just a few minutes. When the mixture begins to just slightly whiten, pull it from the refrigerator and pour into your blender and whip. The goal is to whip air into the icing.
- 4. Pour icing on your cake and top with toasted coconut flakes.
What’s your favorite grain-free dessert?
Trisha Gilkerson is wife to Luke and homeschooling mama to 4 boys. She enjoys blogging with her hubby about homeschooling, healthy living, and faith over at their blog Intoxicated on Life! They’ve put together a number of resources for families trying to navigate these areas along with some great free resources. You can also find Trisha on Facebook, Pinterest, Google+, and Twitter.