When I was a little girl, I said that strawberries were my favorite food. Fast forward 30+ years, and not much has changed.
I recently took my girls to a local farm for our annual strawberry picking, and they begged me to make a strawberry dessert with the berries we gathered.
This one kicks it up a notch with a double crust.
This double crust strawberry crisp is also gluten and dairy-free–because that’s how we eat in our house.
You won’t even be able to tell, though. It is oh-so-yummy. You’ll want to bake this double crust strawberry crisp every strawberry season!
If you are new to the gluten-free lifestyle (or even eating real, whole foods!), you might not know where to find some of these ingredients. Everything on this list can be found at Amazon.com or Vitacost.com. I usually price compare at both. You can use my referral link to get $5 off your first Vitacost purchase.
Health food stores or somewhere like Trader Joe’s would also carry these ingredients. You can also make your own all-purpose gluten-free flour, which is what I now do. I prefer the recipe labeled “GF Flour Mix” in this post.
If you have never used coconut oil before, you might be in for a surprise. The coconut oil will lend a slight, sweet coconut flavor to the crisp. If you do not like coconut, try using the flavorless expeller pressed coconut oil instead.
The coconut oil is what makes this recipe dairy free. If you do not have an issue with dairy, you can simply use butter instead.
Without further ado, check out my recipe for a double crust strawberry crisp that is both gluten free and dairy free!
- 1. Combine berries, lemon juice, organic sugar, and 3 Tbsp. of flour in a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
- 2. Combine all remaining dry ingredients, and cut in the cold coconut oil with biscuit cutter or two knives. (If the coconut oil is melted, it will be much harder to spread the “crumble” on top of the berries.)
- 3. Spread 1/2 of dry mixture on a 9/13 inch greased baking dish.
- 4. Spread berry mixture in 9×13 in. baking dish, on top of the 1/2 dry mixture.
- 5. Sprinkle combined dry ingredients on top of berries.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 400 degrees F.
- Top with a whipped coconut cream or dairy-free vanilla ice cream! Enjoy!
Do you enjoy strawberry desserts? Have you ever tried making a double crust strawberry crisp?
Disclosure: I have included affiliate links in this post. Thank you for supporting my site!