In case you hadn’t guessed it already, I live and breathe stories. Stories that make people laugh. Stories that make people cry. And especially stories that teach a lesson.
While some families spend the holidays playing games or watching movies together, my favorite family activity at both Thanksgiving and Christmas is sitting round the dinner table telling stories.
There are many times my family strictly avoids disposables to be more “green,” but there are other times when we save ourselves time and stress and go for disposables. Increasingly, the holidays are one of those times.
At first, I felt a bit embarrassed to be using disposable dinnerware when I hosted Thanksgiving at our home last year (as you will see in our set table pictured below!), but, in the end, I realized that using disposables a few times per year will not hurt and will help create a more stress-free holiday (at least it does for this humbled homemaker!).
Today, I’m sharing a recipe for homemade garlic rosemary mashed potatoes. Mashed potatoes have always been one of my favorite Thanksgiving dishes! Enjoy!
- • 2 lbs. russet or Idaho potatoes, peeled and quartered
- • 1 tsp. salt
- • 1/2 tsp. McCormick® Garlic Powder
- • 1/2 tsp. McCormick® Rosemary Leaves, crushed
- • 1/4 tsp. McCormick® Ground Black Pepper
- • 1/2 cup milk (I use rice milk to make this dairy free.)
- • 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, cut into chunks (I use soy-free Earth Balance to make this dairy free.)
- • 1 tsp. McCormick® Parsley Flakes
- 1. Place potatoes in medium saucepan. Cover with water. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 10 to 15 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender. Drain and return potatoes to saucepan.
- 2. Sprinkle with salt, garlic powder, rosemary and pepper. Mash with potato masher, gradually adding milk, then butter. Stir in parsley.
What is your favorite Thanksgiving tradition? Do you ever use disposable dinnerware during the holidays?