Looking for a delicious and healthy, fall-inspired breakfast? Your family will love this slow cooker pumpkin-spiced baked oatmeal.
By Sarah Nichols, Contributing Writer
Did you know that pumpkin is not a vegetable? It’s a fruit! I was a little disappointed to discover this fact the other day. I have no problem getting my children to eat fruit, but anytime I can get an extra vegetable into their diet I give myself a secret high-five.
I guess I shouldn’t be too hard on myself, though, since pumpkin is a nutritional powerhouse. In fact, “Consuming one cup of cooked, canned pumpkin would provide well over 100% of your daily needs for vitamin A, 20% of the daily value for vitamin C, 10% or more for vitamin E, riboflavin, potassium, copper and manganese at least 5% for thiamin, B-6, folate, pantothenic acid, niacin, iron, magnesium, and phosphorus.” (source)
Regardless if it’s a fruit or vegetable, nothing shouts ‘fall’ like the pumpkin does. It starts appearing in stores and recipes and coffee drinks and basically your whole Pinterest newsfeed turns into pumpkin-related posts. We are a pumpkin lovin’ people, and friends, this recipe will not disappoint.
- • 3 cups of rolled oats
- • 1.5 cups pumpkin puree (or 1 1.5 oz can)
- • 1.5 cups milk
- • 3/4 cup of maple syrup or honey (or about 1 cup granulated sugar)
- • 1/4 cup melted butter (or coconut oil) + extra for greasing the slow cooker
- • 4 eggs
- • 1 tbsp. vanilla
- • 1.5 tbsp. pumpkin pie spice (try this simple recipe)
- • 1 tbsp. baking powder
- • 1 tsp. unrefined sea salt
- • Optional add-ins: chopped nuts, chocolate chips, raisins, etc.
- 1. Grease your slow cooker with a little bit of butter or coconut oil.
- 2. In a bowl, mix together the sweetener and butter until glossy.
- 3. Add eggs, vanilla, pumpkin, and milk until well combined.
- 4. Add all of the dry ingredients plus any additional add-ins: oats, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, and salt.
- 5. Pour into greased slow-cooker and cover with lid.
- 6. Cook on the low setting for 5 hours. At 5 hours you may think it still looks too wet on top, but turn off the slow cooker and let it sit for 15 minutes. The baked oatmeal reabsorbs any liquid that may have gathered on top and you are left with a very moist, baked oatmeal.
What is your favorite way to eat pumpkin?