Think you can’t make money from home? Think again! Whether you’re looking to make a little extra change or a full-time income, there are legit ways moms can make money from home!
When I was a child, I always dreamed of staying at home with my children. My mother was a stay-at-home mom, and I couldn’t imagine life any other way.
But in 2008, the same year we became parents, the Great Recession was already affecting families.
My dreams of being a stay-at-home mom were shattered for a while, and I had to go back to work full-time from the time our firstborn was six weeks until she was six months old.
When we moved to North Carolina in 2009, my husband continued teaching, but we wanted me to stay at home with our daughter. Within months, though, we realized we couldn’t make it on one teacher salary (not in the state of North Carolina, at least!).
Determined that I would be our daughter’s primary caretaker, my husband and I dove into researching ways moms could make money from home.
He also took on extra jobs from home, and we slowly but surely saw our income start to grow.
At first, I juggled three to four jobs at a time, while my husband did the same.
Eventually, though, we learned that I could make a full-time income blogging. Within two years of starting this venture, I was making more money than my husband was teaching. Now, he and I run this blog together.
I’m able to stay at home with our children, do something I love–write and encourage other women (like you!), and bring in a full-time income from home.
I firmly believe that God is the Great Provider, and I hold what he has given us with an open hand. Our family is proof, though, that moms can make money from home!
The following lists 40 ways moms can make money from home. I’ve tried quite a few of these, and I have personal friends who have had success with others.
If you’re looking for ways you can make money from home, I hope this list will get your creative juices flowing, and you’ll have the courage to look into how you can make money from home!
40 Ways Moms Can Make Money From Home
- Proofreading: I had my own editing and proofreading business for a while. If you’re extremely detail-oriented and are a grammar expert (any former English majors?!), this might be an ideal way for you to make money from home! One way to start would be to reach out to your favorite bloggers and authors, who might be looking for proofreaders.
- Editing: More extensive than proofreading, an editor will offer suggestions for content changes and sentence structure in writing. I recently worked with Dawn of Captivating Copy. She pre-edited my book manuscript before I turned it into my publisher. She started her editing business when her children were younger. Many bloggers also use site editors, especially if they take on guest posters and contributing writers. I worked as a blog editor for about a year. My site editor is a stay-at-home mom as well, and I love being able to give her a job!
- Freelance Writing: Although I don’t personally, many bloggers uses ghost writers to produce content for their sites, and many magazines and newspapers take on freelance writers as well.
- Taking Surveys: This is one way that my friend Crystal of Money Saving Mom made extra money when her husband was in law school. She raves about how easy it is for moms to make money from home by spending their children’s naps, etc. taking online surveys!
- Selling on Amazon: This is something my husband is currently exploring, but we haven’t dived in yet. Many who have stores have seen great success with it.
- Blogging: This is how I make a full-time income from home. It’s not as easy as it looks, but it’s been such a blessing for our family. If you are serious about starting a money-making blog, then getting this week’s Genius Blogger’s Toolkit (only on sale now through Tuesday, Nov. 1) is a must!
- Tutoring: I tutored outside of the home at a local elementary school two afternoons per week, but many a mom has been able to make money from home by offering tutoring services from their own houses.
- Selling on Etsy: If you’re crafty, making and selling Etsy products might be right up your alley!
- Selling on eBay: From unwanted goods in your home to items you buy at yard sales or thrift shops and resell for a profit, selling on eBay has been around for years, and people make a legitimate income selling via the site!
- Selling via Consignment (online or brick and mortar): I have several friends who shop at yard sales and thrift stores and then resell those items on consignment.
- Teaching Music Lessons: From piano to guitar and every instrument in between, teaching music lessons might be a great way to make money from home for those of you musically gifted.
- Teaching Sewing Lessons: Our neighbor is currently teaching our daughter how to sew. Whether it be for kids or adults, you’d be surprised at how many students you might acquire if you were to offer to teach sewing lessons!
- Teaching Cooking or Baking Classes: If you’re gifted in the kitchen, you might be able to teach others how to cook or bake. My friend Katie has taken this a step further and started her own online cooking school for kids!
- Babysitting: Keeping children in your home is a time-tested ways for moms to make money from home. And it helps out another mama!
- Virtual Assistant: I worked as a virtual assistant for another blogger when I first started blogging, and now I employ several virtual assistants on this site. If you are detail oriented and have great organizational skills, this might be the perfect job for you! A resource for learning the virtual assistant industry is The Boostrap VA.
- Graphic Design: Many a talented graphic designer mama has turned her passion into a legitimate way to make money from home.
- Selling on Teachers Pay Teachers: If you’re a former teacher or a homeschooling mama who designs her own lesson plans and educational activities, teachers will pay you for these via Teachers Pay Teachers! My husband has sold a few of his lessons on this site.
- Party Planning: From wedding planning to birthday parties, this is something you can do from home!
- Creating Printables: Did you know many of the free and paid-for printables that bloggers offer aren’t ones they’ve created themselves? Not everyone in talented in this area, but many a blogger will pay another talented mama to create printables for her!
- Making Custom Cards/Invitations: My husband created custom cards and invitations for a while. You can start your own business, or you can sell via Etsy.
- Sewing/Alterations: Many parents today don’t have sewing skills. If you do, offering your services will meet a much-needed market!
- Embroidering/Monogramming: Especially in the South, monogramming and embroidery are extremely popular! If you already have a machine, you’re ahead of the game. Start charging to monogram or embroider for others! If you don’t have a machine but think you’d have a knack for this, purchase one and use it as a tax write-off for your new business!
- Financial Planning/Coaching: If you have a knack for wise financial stewardship, you might look into getting certified as a financial planner or coach. You can then offer your services online or have people come to your home.
- Family Manager Coach: My mentor Holly is a family manager coach and professional home organizer. She teachers classes, speaks, and helps other mamas learn to organize their entire lives!
- Interior Decorator: I have zero skills in this area, and one of these days I would love to pay another mama to come help me decorate my home!
- Doula: I love using doulas with my births, and this is a fulfilling job for a mom who doesn’t mind meeting another mama at the hospital or birthing center during her labor.
- Lactation Consultant: Many nurses and midwifes are certified lactation consultants, but you don’t have to be a medical professional to become one. If you’re passionate about breastfeeding, this might be an ideal way for you to make money from home.
- Make and Sell Skincare Products: I have several friends who have made this leap and have now created very successful businesses. Lexie from Lexie: Naturals, Renee from MadeOn Skincare, and Bethany from Free Reign Farm have all seen their dreams of making money from home become reality.
- Affiliate Marketing: Affiliate marketing is one way that bloggers make money. But you don’t have to have a blog to make money from home in this way. Check out this eCourse on how to make money via affiliate marketing. (If you get the Genius Blogger’s Toolkit by Tuesday, Nov. 1, this eCourse is included.)
- Teach Homeschool Classes: When I was pregnant with our second daughter, my mom watched our firstborn for a couple hours per week while I taught a group of three homeschooled brothers Spanish.
- Swagbucks: Earn gift cards that you can use as CASH just by searching via Swagbucks!
- Cleaning: So this one might take you out of the house for a few hours per week, but it’s still a great side job.
- Laundry: Many busy families are willing to pay someone to take their laundry and do it for them! You can add folding and ironing for additional fees!
- Grocery Shopping: If you’re going grocery shopping for your family, you might as well get paid to shop for others as well! People will pay for others to go shopping for them!
- Mystery Shopper: I have friends who have not only made money this way, but they’ve had some really great fun in the process!
- Newspaper “Stringing”: This is what newspapers call freelancers. I was a stringer for several newspapers for several years. I loved it!
- Freezer Cooking for Others: If you enjoy freezer cooking for yourself, then you might be able to make money from home by doing it for others!
- Placenta Encapsulationist: If you’ve never heard of this, check out this post on placenta encapsulation. I have several friends who have turned this into a way to make money from home (I couldn’t stomach it, but they love it!).
- Direct Sales: From essential oils to make-up to leggings, new direct sales companies are popping up all the time. The key here is to not join them all, and pick one that sells a product you are truly passionate about.
- Pet Sitting/Walking: Are you an animal lover? Busy families will pay someone to walk or sit for their pets!
If you’re interested in how to make money from home via blogging, like I do, then I encourage you to invest in the Genius Blogger’s Toolkit, which is on sale now through Tuesday, Nov. 1 at 11:59 p.m. ONLY!
This collection of eBooks and eCourses will equip you with all you need to know about how to make money from home via this venture. The Genius Blogger’s Toolkit is, hands down, the best collection of blogging resources I’ve ever seen advertised. If you’re interested in making money blogging, it will be absolutely worth the investment!
Click here to learn more of click on the “learn more” button below!
What are your tips for how to make money from home?