Simple Cooked Eggnog
- 4 egg yolks
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 tsp vanilla
- freshly whipped cream
- Whisk the egg yolks in a small bowl. In a heavy saucepan, warm the milk over medium heat until it's just under the boiling point, stirring often.
- Whisk about ½ cup of hot milk into the egg yolks. Slowly add the egg mixture to the saucepan, and let everything cook for five minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat, and let the custard cool and thicken slightly.
- After the custard has cooled for several minutes, stir in the honey and vanilla. This would also be the time to add rum or brandy, if desired.
- Serve warm, sprinkled with nutmeg and mounded with whipped cream, or chill in the refrigerator to enjoy later.
If you want to increase the serving size, add 1 egg, 1 cup of milk, 1 ½ tablespoons of honey and a few drops of vanilla per person.
The leftover egg whites could be used for meringues, “forgotten” cookies, or to brush over the tops of homemade pastries.
Recipe by The Humbled Homemaker at https://thehumbledhomemaker.com/simple-cooked-eggnog/