I can’t believe we’re already in week 3 of Plan It, Don’t Panic!
I’m having so much fun gathering new recipes, and I’ve even created a “To Try in October” board on Pinterest just for this challenge!
I’m also working on being better at watching exactly where our food budget goes. For that reason, I spent several hours at several different stores this past weekend price checking.
I purchased 3 whole chickens yesterday, and I’m excited about cooking them in the crockpot for the first time this week! I am really hoping to get several meals out of each chicken!
Something else I’m working on is only have one meal per week that is cheese heavy. It seems my baby’s cheeks break out when I eat too much dairy, and I am extra sensitive to this after finding out about my 3-year-old’s major food sensitivities.
Without further ado, check out the recipe for Wednesday’s dinner–Crockpot Seafood Paella–and scroll down for this week’s meal plan!
Image by kkma
- • 3/4 c. chopped sweet peppers
- • 1/2 c. chopped onion
- • 2 cloves garlic, minced
- • 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- • 1 c. uncooked brown rice
- • 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- • 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper
- • 1/4 tsp. ground tumeric
- • 12 oz. fresh or frozen shrimp, thawed, peeled and halved
- • 6 oz. canned or pouched wild-caught pink salmon, flaked
- • 1 c. frozen peas
- 1. Grease crock pot and add all veggies except peas.
- 2. In a medium sauce pan, combine chicken broth, rice and spices.
- 3. Heat until boiling, then pour over veggies in the crock pot.
- 4. Cover and cook on low for 4 hours.
- 5. After about 3 hours, add the shrimp, salmon and peas.
- 6. Once done, let stand for about 10 minutes before serving. Serves 6.
* I modified this recipe from a recipe I found in the January 2010 issue of Parents magazine.
Meal Plan for 10/3-10/9
Lunch-black beans and rice
Dinner-rotisserie-style chicken in the crock pot, brown rice and green beans
Prep: bake breakfast bars, soak beans, make rotel, chop peppers, shred and freeze remaining chicken, make stock
Breakfast-egg/dairy/GF breakfast bars
Dinner-Seafood Paella in the crock pot (recipe above)
Breakfast-Bob’s Red Mill GF pancakes w/ blueberries
Dinner-At my best friend/college roommate’s house!
Prep: pack snacks for trip!
With Friends–Woo Hoo! A break from the kitchen!
With Friends–Yay for fall breaks!
Have you ever made a crockpot seafood paella? Share your recipe in the comments!
Get Stephanie Langford’s eBook, Plan It, Don’t Panic here. This is a comprehensive meal planning tip book!
Disclosure: I have included affiliate links in this post. Thank you for supporting this site!