Welcome to this month’s edition of Homemade Homemaking! Today, we are making allergen-free (NO gluten, eggs or dairy!) graham crackers!
My girls have honestly never really eaten graham crackers, although Little Girl absolutely loves crackers in general. But gluten free crackers are expensive, so I am having to learn how to make my own (which is better for us anyway!).
I first started thinking about making homemade graham crackers because I thought they would make great material for an edible, allergen-free “gingerbread” house (be on the lookout for that recipe next week!).
I found this recipe, which I used as my base, but I didn’t have all the ingredients it called for, and I wanted to make the recipe dairy free.
And the results were delicious! These “crackers” are almost more like a cookie. Every single person in the Odom household (including my hubby!) absolutely loved these!
I hope you enjoy them as much as we do!
- 2 cups + 1/3 cup + 1/4 cup all-purpose GF flour (I use Bob’s Red Mill, but you can make your own.)
- 1 cup sucanat
- 7 Tbsp. chilled palm shortening
- 1/2 tsp. Xanthan gum
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- extra cinnamon/sucanat for sprinkling
1. Mix together flour, xanthan gum, cinnamon, sucanat, baking soda and salt.
2. Add mixed ingredients to food processor and add in chilled shortening.
3. Pulse until well blended and crumbly.
4. Add honey, water and vanilla. Continue processing until dough forms.
5. Place dough in a greased ball and knead until you can form a ball. Then, separate dough into two balls.
6. Press dough onto greased parchment paper lined on a large baking sheet.
7. Roll until about 1/8 in. in thickness.
8. Cut into rectangles with a pizza cutter (I had to also re-cut when they came out).
9. Prick little holes in each cracker with a fork or toothpick.
10. Let sit in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
11. Bake in a preheated oven at 320 degrees for 25 minutes.
12. Sprinkle with sucanat and cinnamon!
After making these, I read this recipe for homemade graham crackers at Heavenly Homemakers. They aren’t allergen-free, but I know many of you don’t need allergen-free crackers! They look very yummy, and I think the next time I make these we will totally be cutting them into Christmas shapes, like she did in this post!
Have you ever made homemade graham crackers?
- Healthy Holidays: Slightly-Indulgent Sweet Treats (a FREE eBook for my subscribers!)
- Smart Sweets (enter to WIN a copy NOW at The Simple Homemaker!)
- Treat Yourself: Real Food Desserts