Welcome back to Sizzlin’ Soups–a 6-week series sharing cozy, wholesome soup recipes!
So far, we’ve warmed up with a yummy Creamy Chicken and Vegetable Chowder from Leigh Ann at Intentional by Grace, a Sausage and Kale Italian Zuppa from Rachel at Day2Day Joys and a Sweet Potato and Sausage Soup from Nikki of Christian Mommy Blogger.
This week, it’s my turn to share one of my favorite soup recipes!
At the end of the 6-week series, we will have a surprise for you. *hint: it’s FREE*
To be sure you don’t miss out, consider subscribing to any one of these participating blogs:
One of my best friends actually introduced me to it about a year ago. I was in a soup rut at the time. It seemed all I ever made was potato soup, chicken tortilla soup (recipe coming in our freebie for subscribers!) or chicken noodle soup.
And I had never tasted a chicken and rice soup quite like this. Despite its filling qualities, it seemed I couldn’t get enough!
My dear friend is now serving the Lord in Asia, but I still keep her recipe written on a scrap piece of paper from her old Tennessee kitchen. I’ve tweaked it a bit, and feel free to change it up according to your dietary needs.
Creamy Chicken and Rice Soup
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large (or 2 small) carrot, sliced into “coins”
- 2-3 ribs celery, chopped
- 1/4 c. butter (or coconut oil for dairy free)
- 1/2 c. white whole wheat flour (or rice flour for GF)
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups pre-cooked rice (white, brown or wild….I use brown.)
- 1 c. cubed or shredded cooked chicken breast
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- rosemary, to taste
- 1 c. milk (or rice milk for dairy free)
1. In a large saucepan, saute the garlic, carrot and celery in butter until tender.
2. Stir in flour until blended.
3. Gradually add broth.
4. Stir in rice, chicken, salt, pepper and rosemary.
5. Bring to a boil over medium heat.
6. Cook and stir for 2-3 minutes or until thickened.
7. Stir in milk and cook 2-3 minutes longer.
Enjoy! Yields 10 servings!