5 Homemade Toothpaste Recipes

5 Homemade Toothpaste Recipes - TheHumbledHomemaker.com

I won’t beat around the bush with this: I don’t make my own toothpaste.

Now, homemade toothpaste is on the very long list of things I want to try making one day, but I haven’t made it there yet. I still buy mine. (And I’ll tell you why at the end of this post.)

But you don’t ever have to buy toothpaste!

For the day when I do try my hand at homemade toothpaste, I have been gathering homemade toothpaste recipes. I’m excited to share those with you today!

Check out these 5 recipes for homemade toothpaste:

Image by Red and Honey

Awesome Homemade Toothpaste with Clay and Coconut Oil @Red and Honey: This one looks VERY similar to my favorite toothpaste–Earthpaste.

Homemade Remineralizing Toothpaste Recipe @ Wellness Mama: This one claims to whiten teeth and make them less sensitive to cold!

Homemade Toothpaste: Want to Ditch the Fluoride? @ Crunchy Betty: This one uses peppermint essential oil. Yum!

Homemade Toothpaste @ Creative Christian Mama: This is more of tooth “soap” and, oddly enough, contains honey!

Homemade Toothpaste @Nourishing Simplicity: This one calls for Castile soap!

Bonus: Homemade Tooth Powder via Tan Green @ The Humbled Homemaker: Popular in Europe, tooth powder is used to clean teeth as an alternative to toothpaste. I guarantee you probably already have everything on hand to try this one!

If you just want to easily re-pin all of these recipes, I’ve pinned them to my “Homemade Personal Care Products” board on Pinterest.

Why I Don’t {Yet} Make My Own Toothpaste

I discovered Earthpaste about 6 months back and got a really good deal and haven’t had to buy (or even think about making) toothpaste ever since!

I love Earthpaste because it:

• does not contain fluoride
  • does not contain glycerin
  • is 100% natural (It’s made of clay! Can’t get much more natural than that!)
  • contains no artificial colorings (Yes, it’s brown. Is that strange? At first it was…but only for about a day! Now it seems strange to me that people rub toothpaste on their teeth that is colored with red 40 and the like!)
  • is safe to eat! (What other toothpaste can you say that about?! No worries if your child accidentally swallows it!)
  • tastes great! (For real! It’s flavored with essential oils.)

Earthpaste comes in 4 flavors: peppermint, wintergreen, cinnamon and lemon twist (which is geared toward kids). My husband and I like peppermint the best, and we haven’t yet tried lemon. He doesn’t care for the cinnamon (although I don’t mind it). The wintergreen is a bit strong.

When I saw that Redmond sells it for $7.99, I was disappointed, but I was excited to find it at Vitacost for $4.89. Yes, that is still a bit pricey, but if you earn Vitacost referral credits, you can get it for free. ;)

If you’ve never signed up for Vitacost before, you can earn an immediate $10 credit by using my linkhere, and then you can start earning $10 yourself every time one of your friends signs up! They get a credit and you get a credit. Win-win!

Image by makelessnoise

Have you ever made your own toothpaste? What homemade toothpaste recipe did you use? What is your favorite brand of toothpaste?

Top image by chumney

Disclosure: I have included affiliate links in this post.

Comments

1. Christa says

We love my homemade toothpaste!
    In a small pan heat 1/2 cup water with1 cup coconut oil. Stir in essential oils for taste, 1 1/2 cups xylitol, 1 1/2 cups baking soda, and as much Redmond clay to make toothpaste consistency (buy redmond at health food store or online in my area) measurements are not exact, just so that it reaches that creamy consistency.
    This makes a lot of toothpaste. Lasts for months. And it’s great knowing that nothing bad is going in our mouths.

• kevin says

I know this is an old post but does this mix harden up once coconut oil cools? Is it able to be squeezed? Or do you scoop it on the brush?

2. Priscilla says

? on xylitol, I’ve not used it yet. I have not even looked online at brands of xylitol. I did found this article, as I was curious what is it made from, http://www.xylitol.org/about-xylitol It seems important to learn what is xylitol extracted from…may vary from brand to brand/etc. Since it ‘could’ come from corncob…I think it is worth a phone call to the company to learn IF is from GMO corn or nonGMO corn/etc. Any particular brands you recommend?

3. Sami says

So I’ve been trying to make a toothpaste for my littles (4 and 3) and I just did coconut oil (about .25-.5 cup), stevia and about 10 drops total of essential oils (peppermint and doterra OnGaurd–cinnamon and clove). They say it is to “spicy” still. Do I just keep diluting it with more coconut oil? I barely taste the oils at all. Do I just ask them to get used to it? Thanks for your help! :) And I love Earthpaste for me too but my kids won’t touch it!

4. Misty tiptin says

My 6 year old recently had a crown Putin and is in process of multiple fillings. :( (there was some misunderstanding withnDaddy about him being ready to brush his own.. Boo) dentist specifically wanted him using flouride to help heal from all that or something. Anything natural I can do or get with fluoride?

Thanks for sharing these recipes. I must admit a few are intimidating with the ingredient list. I have always wanted to try earthpaste but I am afraid I will spend the money and then not like it. I have to be careful with my toothpaste. I cannot use anything that whitens because I have two bridges and the whitening products obviously won’t work on those. I don’t want to end up with mutli-colored teach.
    Emily recently posted..Comment on Welcome by EmilyMy Profile

I really love Earthpaste, but I understand not wanting to dish out the money. Did you happen to get the bundle sale last week? If so, there is a freebie in there to try (that’s how I first tried mine). If I were you, I would try a tube from Vitacost–they are the cheapest I have found. I would stay away from the whitening ones!

Erin,
    I see now when making this post I should have unchecked comment on Welcome by Emily. I appologize. I didn’t know the comment app would put that on my original comment. I didn’t want you thinking I’m was spamming. I would remove it if I knew how to. I am new to blogging. Thanks for understanding.

7. Vanessa says

Hi, I will definitely sign up under you for VitaCost. :)
    Did you know you can earn 6% cash back on their website through ebates.com? I’d love to refer you if you’re not already signed up. (similar win-win situation for signing up) Every little bit adds up!
    And thanks for the post, I really was in need of finding better toothpaste, and happened to hear of VitaCost recently, but didn’t know anyone to refer me. It’s an all around perfect post!

8. anonymous says

I love homemade toothpaste. Unfortunately coconut oil is very sensitive to temperature, and so depending on the temperature of the house the toothpaste will either be rock hard or liquid soft.Do you think Coconut Manna can be used instead and is it orally just as beneficial as the coconut oil?

Hi there everybody, here every person is sharing such know-how, thus it’s nice to read this website, and I used to pay a quick visit this website every day.
    Tyler recently posted..TylerMy Profile

10. Kelly says

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Earthpaste had lead in it. Apparently the lemon flavored one (marketed to kids) has the highest amounts. The company has admitted it, but also hasn’t changed it. There is an organization called Lead Safe America and the Executive Director is trying to get Earthpaste to remove the lead. They have admitted that it is there to her, but that’s it. Thought you should know. :(