By Elsie, Contributing Writer and Site Editor
In the depths of winter, I dream of sunny skies and hot breezes across the sand. I’m a Southern girl learning to love Michigan, but for all our adventures in the snow I’m ready for a heatwave again!
This banana coconut pudding is a dessert that hints at summer to come. It’s light, cool on your tongue, with just a kiss of sweetness. In fact, all the sweetness comes naturally from the whole food ingredients! Bananas, coconut, and nutmeg all lend sweetness in their own way; the combination is delightful!
I’ve found that since taking steps towards a real food diet, my threshold for sweet has changed. I can do with much less sweetener than a recipe calls for, and I can better discern the natural sugars in food.
Dream of summer with me, and enjoy this simple, healthy pudding for dessert or breakfast:
Banana Coconut Pudding
- Sprinkle the gelatin over the water in a small bowl; stir and set aside.
- Combine the coconut milk, bananas, and nutmeg in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Warm the gelatin water in the microwave for a few seconds; stir to dissolve the gelatin.
- Add the gelatin water to the blender and blend everything for 20 seconds.
- Pour the pudding into 4 ramekins or small bowls. Cover and refrigerate until you're ready to serve.
- Garnish with shredded coconut, a dash of nutmeg, and pieces of fruit, if desired.
Want another sunny, fruity recipe? Try this Creamy Clementine Smoothie!
Do you long for summer? What foods remind you of summertime?
Elsie blogs at Richly Rooted about food and simple, natural living. She is a co-author of Real Food for the Real Homemaker, a cookbook full of simple, wholesome recipes and ideas for getting started with a real food diet.