Garlic is a great flu fighter! These garlic cheese biscuits are full of it. (And even better than Red Lobster’s!) Make a batch today!
Not sure about the flu shot? Fight back with food instead! Welcome back to 5 Flu-Fighting Foods–a 5-week series that will arm you with recipes to stay healthy this season!
I’m excited to be joining the following 5 amazing bloggers in hosting this series:
Nikki @Christian Mommy Blogger
Mindy @The Purposed Heart
Anne @Quick and Easy, Cheap and Healthy
Leigh Ann @Intentional by Grace
Rachel @Day2Day Joys
Come back each Wednesday as we reveal five different foods that support your immune system.
Three weeks ago we had fun with lots of pumpkin recipes, two weeks ago we covered breakfast foods and last week we discovered all kinds of new ways to serve green tea!
Image by piovasco
This week’s flu-fighting food is garlic! Garlic is not only a delicious addition to many dishes, but it’s also chock full of health benefits, like:
- potentially lowering cholesterol and blood pressure
- potentially preventing blood clots
- can help fight infections, like the cold and flu
- is an anti-fungal
- is a natural antibiotic
- potentially helps prevent certain cancers (source)
This week’s homemade homemaking recipe is for garlic cheese biscuits!! I’ve been making these biscuits for several years now, and they are just as tasty and better for you than Red Lobster’s garlic cheese biscuits!
Now, the health benefits of garlic are best seen in raw garlic. But any time you use garlic, you will be doing your health a favor!
Without further ado, check out this week’s recipe!
Combine dry ingredients.
Cut in butter.
Make a hole in the center of mixture.
Place biscuits on ungreased baking sheet/stone.
Make garlic butter while biscuits are baking.
Brush biscuits with garlic butter.
Better than Red Lobster Garlic Cheese Biscuits
- 1 3/4 cups white whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 5 Tbsp. butter
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 3 Tbsp. butter, melted
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, sea salt and baking powder. Cut in butter with two knives or a biscuit cutter.
- Make a hole in the center or the mixture with the biscuit cutter, your hands or a glass. Pour milk and cheese into the well and stir to combine. If the dough seems too dry, add a tad more milk.
- Drop batter by tablespoonfuls onto an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 450F for 12-15 minutes or until browned lightly.
- While biscuits are baking, melt butter and stir in minced garlic. Brush garlic butter over biscuits right out of the oven.
These biscuits are a perfect addition to breakfast or dinner! They are one of my husband’s favorites!
Question to my readers: Does anyone have any good ideas on soaking this recipe? So far, I only soak when someone else gives me directions. 😉
Garlic-Lemon Salad @Christian Mommy Blogger
Creamy Roasted Garlic Soup @The Purposed Heart
Garlic Salsa @Day2Day Joys
7 Ways to Eat Raw Garlic @ Intentional by Grace
Slow Cooker Garlic Potato Soup with Rosemary @ Quick and Easy, Cheap and Healthy
I would suggest soaking the flour in buttermilk, yogurt, or even soured milk overnight. Then you could add all the remaining ingredients…. And to do the modified cutting in of butter…. cut up the butter into chunks first before working it into the mixture.
health benefits of garlic
Nice blog here! Additionally your website rather a lot up fast! What host are you the usage of? Can I am getting your associate hyperlink for your host? I want my site loaded up as fast as yours lol|
The sad thing, the dangerous thing, is that the media does not inform the public about what it, in fact, truly dangerous and lapping at our shores. The public is distracted by a lot of pointless garbage without the benefit of being informed about that which may truly kill them. Islam is at war with the west. Iran is on the verge of acquiring nuclear weapons. THAT is not about panic. It is about the truth. And the truth of the matter is we are in grave danger.