Sometimes, life gets hectic, and you just *need* some convenience food. As I finished up my first trimester of pregnancy a few weeks ago, I’m coming out of one of those seasons.
But convenience food doesn’t necessarily have to equal unhealthy food!
The key to this quick and easy soup is pre-prep. If your salsa is already made (or even store-bought…it’s OK!) and your beans are already cooked, you can simmer up this soup in a matter of minutes!
Easiest Chicken Tortilla Soup
Yield 4-6 servings
- Boil chicken breasts in large stock pot. If you already have chicken pre-cooked and shredded, you’re ahead of the game!
- Reserve boiled water, shred chicken and place back in stock pot with water.
- Pour salsa and beans into pot. (No extra seasonings needed...the salsa provides all the flavor!)
- Add enough water and/or chicken stock until soup reaches your desired consistency.
- Bring to a boil then turn burner to low until you’re ready to serve.
- Top with shredded cheese and sour cream or plain yogurt. Serve with tortilla chips.
- You can add a lot of liquid for a true soup or just a little for a more stew-like consistency. I enjoy it both ways. Of course, the more liquid you add, the more servings this will yield! I have also tried this with garbanzo beans, and it was scrumptious!
If you’re looking for a place to get affordable chicken in bulk, check out Zaycon Foods. I have been getting chicken breasts there for as low as $1.69/lb! Zaycon also carries other meats, including wild Argentine shrimp! Their prices are typically a fraction of the price you would pay in the grocery store! Check out Zaycon here.