My family doesn’t eat fancy lunches. Mostly, we eat leftovers or snack-like plates (chopped fruit, raw veggies, cheese, etc.) It’s just easier than stopping halfway through the day and preparing an entire meal.
However, there are days I get a craving for a little more–but I still don’t want to stop to cook up anything elaborate!
On those days, I look at what I have on hand and throw something a little nicer together. A few weeks ago that entailed some chickpeas, tomatoes, an avocado, goat cheese and some drizzled oil and vinegar. The result was a Mediterranean-style chickpea salad that was both healthy and delicious. And even though it was a “fancier” lunch, it took only 10 minutes to make.
So apparently you can have healthier, more substantial lunches without spending too much time in the kitchen!
10-Minute Mediterranean Chickpea Salad
Yield 1 serving
This chickpea salad makes a great power lunch that will fuel you up midday! It's super healthy and only takes 10 minutes to throw together. Perfect for school lunches or to pack for a work lunch, too!
- 1/2 cup cooked chickpeas
- 1/4-1/2 cup halved cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1 avocado, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 Tbsp. goat cheese, crumbled
- extra virgin olive oil, to taste
- balsamic vinegar, to taste
- Combine chickpeas, tomatoes and avocado in a bowl (or even right on your plate!).
- Top salad with crumbled goat cheese.
- Drizzle with oil and vinegar to taste.
- Enjoy your quick and easy–yet “fancy”–10-minute lunch.
Chickpeas can be cooked and frozen in big batches, so you always have them on hand and ready! Or, you can just use canned chickpeas, and all you have to do is drain them. I go towards canned in busier life seasons, like while I’m pregnant. I know BPA is in food cans, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do to keep sane!