Guest post by Kelley of Lavender and Cream
A buffalo chicken recipe is like a little black dress…it’s always “in,” and it always impresses. It’s a winning combination of two simple (yet delicious) ingredients that sends me over the moon.
Some people fawn over their lovers; I get doe-eyed for buffalo sauce.
Whenever I see a new buffalo recipe on Pinterest, you better believe I’m trying it immediately. Everything from buffalo wing hummus, to buffalo cauliflower–you name it, I’ve eaten it! But one thing I hadn’t tried before? Mixing buffalo sauce with chili.
I knew I had to use ground chicken (no brainer). But how would I transform buffalo sauce into a stew? Surprisingly, it was simple.
Not only is this delicious, but it’s a healthy recipe. In fact, it’s deceivingly healthy. This buffalo chicken chili is velvety, rich, and creamy. It’s hearty and filling, packed with lean protein. It tastes so incredibly indulgent–without the guilt.
My secret? Low-fat cream cheese. It gives the sauce a heft and thickness without all the added calories and fat.*
Another selling point? This is a slow cooker recipe. It doesn’t get any easier than this one–toss all the ingredients into your Crock Pot, turn it on low and let the sweet (actually, spicy) smell of buffalo sauce permeate your home.
Can’t you smell it already?! Ahhh…buffalo sauce.
- • 1.5 pounds cooked ground chicken
- • 1 (28 oz) can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- • 1 (15 oz) can white beans
- • 2 tsp chili powder (you can make your own, if you like!)
- • 2 tsp cumin
- • 1 cup chicken broth
- • 4 oz. low-fat cream cheese (pre-melted works best)
- • 1/4 cup buffalo wing sauce
- • salt and pepper to taste
- • parsley and shredded cheddar cheese for topping
- 1. Place all ingredients (except salt, pepper, parsley, and cheese) into the slow cooker.
- 2. Cook on low for 5-6 hours.
- 3. Add salt and pepper. Top individual portions with parsley and shredded cheese.
- If chili is too thick for your liking, add a bit more chicken broth.
Note from Erin: If you’re looking for a place to get affordable chicken in bulk, check out Zaycon Foods. I have been getting chicken breasts there for as low as $1.69/lb! Zaycon also carries other meats, including wild Argentine shrimp! Their prices are typically a fraction of the price you would pay in the grocery store! Check out Zaycon here.
What’s your favorite way to eat buffalo sauce?
Hi, I’m Kelley! I’m a freelance writer, social media enthusiast, food lover, and blogger at Lavender & Cream. My blog focuses on nutritious food that tastes amazing, as well as healthy lifestyle tips and weight loss encouragement. You can follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinteres