Cold and flu season will soon be here. Here are six must-haves that I keep stocked in my natural medicine cabinet!
Cold and flu season is right around the corner, and now is the time when I’m searching my favorite online shopping venues for the best deals on the products I love to keep on hand in the event of an illness.
I used to wait to stock my natural medicine cabinet for the cold and flu season until October, but last year this time my middle daughter already had walking pneumonia (yes, in September!), so now I know better!
Although our entire stash of natural remedies is large and spans the gamut from essential oils to herbal supplements to devices like neti pots, there are six must-haves that I’ve found especially helpful in treating and/or preventing colds.
1. Elderberry Syrup
I like for us to take elderberry syrup to build up our immune systems all winter long, but it’s also great for respiratory health!
We take echinacea at the first sign of a cold. (For me, personally, it’s a sore, scratchy throat.)
Garlic capsules are easy to swallow (and my girls actually love them!), but raw garlic is always best.
4. Immune-Boosting Essential Oil Blend
The immune blend we use contains wild orange essential oil, combined with clove, cinnamon, eucalyptus, and rosemary. We dilute this oil blend with coconut oil and apply it to our feet at the first sign of any illness.
5. Vitamin C
We up our vitamin C when we feel sick, but we also take it daily during the winter months.
6. Say Ahh! Sore Throat Home Exam Aid
We just recently discovered this kit, and I’m truly excited about adding it to our natural remedies arsenal.
Why? It costs us $35 per sick visit at our children’s doctor’s office, and I’m looking forward to being able to avoid that if a sore throat is simply part of the common cold virus and not something more serious, like strep throat or mononucleosis.
I’m usually a “better-be-safe-than-sorry” mom when it comes to taking my kids to the doctor, but it feels defeating to spend $35 per visit just to find out your child has a cold!
Say Ahh! kits helps you observe, compare and report to your doctor what’s going on in your child’s throat and mouth, which helps determine if a trip to the doctor’s office is necessary.
This Say Ahh! kit costs less than $10 and can be washed and used again and again. It is safe to use for kids age six and up.
The Say Ahh! system includes:
- The Say Ahh! & Flashlight: The Say Ahh! oral retractor is a scientifically-designed, patented, tongue depressor that minimizes the gag reflex, encouraging tongue relaxation, which in turn improves control and increases visibility inside the mouth and throat. The flashlight provides the user with greater ease and accuracy for observation of the throat
- A medical-grade illustrated chart: The Say Ahh! packaging comes with a medical-grade, illustrated chart and clear pictures and descriptions of six common throat ailments, providing the user a solid basis for comparison to what should be seen in a normal throat.
- SayAhh.com & the Say Ahh! Exam Guide App: The Say Ahh! Facebook Page and Say Ahh! Exam Guide mobile app are an integral part of the Say Ahh! sore throat system, containing in-depth information and photographic reference for six common throat conditions as well as answers to FAQs, general notes from doctors, and more, to further assist the user in comparing their child’s throat.
What are your must-haves for a natural medicine cabinet? How many sore throats does your child have in a school year?
This is a product-provided, sponsored conversation that contains affiliate links. All opinions, text and experiences are my own. I have included affiliate links in this post. Comments submitted may be displayed on other websites owned by the sponsoring brand.