This week we’ve been talking about natural, homemade laundry care. After checking out some homemade laundry detergents and a list of 30+ ways to use white vinegar, today I’m giving you a list of 10+ homemade stain removers.
And I’m also telling you about what I see as the absolute BEST, all-natural stain fighter (and it happens to be FREE!).
I had to make some major switches to my laundry routine when I converted to cloth diapers. When I discovered I couldn’t use conventional stain removers on my diapers, it made me re-think the stain removers I had been using on my clothes. Were they safe?
I imagine some of you are in the same boat.
Image by the.barb
The components of a good stain remover
In a nutshell, if you keep the following items on hand, you should be able to easily create your own homemade stain remover:
- white vinegar
- baking soda
- oxygen bleach
- hydrogen peroxide
- lemon juice
- natural soap (like Fels Naptha)
- the sun (it’s FREE!)
The BEST stain remover EVER (and my personal favorite)
After I began cloth diapering, I discovered that if my diapers came out of the wash with a stain, I could easily get it out…in the sun! The first time I discovered this you would have thought I had discovered magic! I have sunned horribly-stained diapers before that have whitened right up after a few hours in the sun!
The key is to place the diaper–or article of clothing, etc.–in the full sun while it is still very wet.
You can also spray the stain directly with either a little vinegar water, lemon water or a mix of diluted hydrogen peroxide or oxygen bleach.
This has been the easiest, cheapest and best stain remover for me!
Image by Violentz
Want even more homemade, all-natural stain removers?
Check out these 10 homemade, all-natural stain removers!
1. DIY Laundry Stain Remover by The Prairie Homestead
2. Natural Bleach Alternative by Crafty Little Gnome (just 3 ingredients!)
3. Hydrogen Peroxide Magic by One Good Thing by Jillee (who needs bleach when you have hydrogen peroxide?!)
4. A Surprising Ink Stain Remover by One Good Thing by Jillee (Clearly, this woman is full of way more than just one good thing!)
5. Homemade OxyClean by Grocery Cart Challenge (great for a spot cleaner OR to add to the wash!)
6. Citrus Enzyme Spray by Eco Karen
8. Stacy’s Stain Removal by Stacy Makes Cents
9. Homemade “Shout” Stain Remover by Kitchen Escapades
10. Green Carpet Stain Remover by Chase and More
Bonus: How to Get a Set-In Stain Out of Carpet by… me (because who else would let a popsicle stain sit for days on end because she didn’t know how to clean it?)
Image by Rennett Stowe
Have you ever made your own homemade, all-natural stain remover? What is your preferred stain remover?
Top image by evink
We love our sponsors:
Plan to Eat: Simple Meal Planning, Made Easy