10+ Homemade, All-Natural Stain Removers–Including the BEST Stain Remover Ever!

10+ Homemade, All-Natural Stain Removers - TheHumbledHomemaker.com

This week we’ve been talking about natural, homemade laundry care. After checking out some homemade laundry detergents and a list of 30+ ways to use white vinegar, today I’m giving you a list of  10+ homemade stain removers.

And I’m also telling you about what I see as the absolute BEST, all-natural stain fighter (and it happens to be FREE!).

I had to make some major switches to my laundry routine when I converted to cloth diapers. When I discovered I couldn’t use conventional stain removers on my diapers, it made me re-think the stain removers I had been using on my clothes. Were they safe?

Not always.

I imagine some of you are in the same boat.

Image by the.barb

The components of a good stain remover

In a nutshell, if you keep the following items on hand, you should be able to easily create your own homemade stain remover:

• white vinegar
  • baking soda
  • oxygen bleach
  • hydrogen peroxide
  • lemon juice
  • natural soap (like Fels Naptha)
  • the sun (it’s FREE!)

The BEST stain remover EVER (and my personal favorite)

After I began cloth diapering, I discovered that if my diapers came out of the wash with a stain, I could easily get it out…in the sun! The first time I discovered this you would have thought I had discovered magic! I have sunned horribly-stained diapers before that have whitened right up after a few hours in the sun!

The key is to place the diaper–or article of clothing, etc.–in the full sun while it is still very wet.

You can also spray the stain directly with either a little vinegar water, lemon water or a mix of diluted hydrogen peroxide or oxygen bleach.

This has been the easiest, cheapest and best stain remover for me!

Image by Violentz

Want even more homemade, all-natural stain removers?

Check out these 10 homemade, all-natural stain removers!

1. DIY Laundry Stain Remover by The Prairie Homestead

2. Natural Bleach Alternative by Crafty Little Gnome (just 3 ingredients!)

3. Hydrogen Peroxide Magic by One Good Thing by Jillee (who needs bleach when you have hydrogen peroxide?!)

4. A Surprising Ink Stain Remover by One Good Thing by Jillee (Clearly, this woman is full of way more than just one good thing!)

5. Homemade OxyClean by Grocery Cart Challenge (great for a spot cleaner OR to add to the wash!)

6. Citrus Enzyme Spray by Eco Karen

7. Homemade, All-Natural Laundry Stain Remover by Live Renewed (This blog is chock FULL of green living tips!!)

8. Stacy’s Stain Removal by Stacy Makes Cents

9. Homemade “Shout” Stain Remover by Kitchen Escapades

10. Green Carpet Stain Remover by Chase and More

Bonus: How to Get a Set-In Stain Out of Carpet by… me (because who else would let a popsicle stain sit for days on end because she didn’t know how to clean it?) ;)

Image by Rennett Stowe

Have you ever made your own homemade, all-natural stain remover? What is your preferred stain remover?

Top image by evink

Comments

1. Vicki says

I like your sun idea. It also reactivates charcoal. I will try these great ideas.

I went back to read your foamy soap recipe. I am changing it to make it naturally antibacterial:
    Sub the distilled water for colloidal silver. I make it by the gallon, so it is cheap and always available. It is antibacterial and kills only the good bacteria. The commercial kind kills all bacteria, which is why I won’t use it. Add peppermint oil or extract and voila…a good-for-you antibacterial soap, without the tree tea oil (since In don’t have any right now). I’m so excited to make it. Thank you for the original recipe.

I’ve use vinegar/baking soda quite often. Recently I removed a very set-in stain (like 4months? yikes!) in the simplest way possible!! My Norwex enviro cloth! Just got it damp, and with little elbow grease the black stain on my very light carpet came right out! After 4 months of setting ( I was gone when it happened and the hubby isn’t sure how it got there ;-) ). So no more mixing up stain removers for me! At least, so far. I’m sure the cloth won’t remove EVERY stain, but so far its worked on mud stains, coke stains (in car carpet for a year b/c every other cleaner did NOT remove it and we decided it was there to stay), ketchup stains, and black stains anonymous :) Now ink is a different matter . . . :) I’ve heard of hairspray, but never the hand sanitizer. Have to give that whirl next time the kid decides to decorate our clothes :)
    Naomi recently posted..The Very Hungry Caterpillar PartyMy Profile

I don’t know what the 4-month stain was. It mysteriously appeared while I was out of town :) But it was black. And not small. Yep, my aunt also got a huge stain out of her carpet that had been there for 2 months. Give it a try! I’m sure it doesn’t do every stain, but it has worked for several for us! And you can’t get more free than a cloth you already have (other than sunlight :) –unfortunately I live in a rented home where we’re not allowed to hang clothes/diapers outside :( ).

Thanks for including my citrus enzyme cleaner in your awesome list. I also make citrus vinegar cleaner that turns vinegar smell citrus-y AND adds more cleaning power. Just add citrus peels to vinegar and strain after about 2 weeks. But vinegar and baking soda is the dynamic duo for cleaning. And whitening anything is hydrogen peroxide…you can read about how I whitened my daughter’s softball socks using hydrogen peroxide and washing soda.

Love your blog! Would love to invite you to be part of Green Sisterhood! Email me and I’ll let you know what we are all about!
    karen recently posted..DIY: Burlap TraysMy Profile

It was a pleasure, Karen! I’m actually linking to it in my Keeper of the Home post tomorrow as well (where you should get more hits!). I’d love info! You can email me at thhpartners at gmail dot com! Thanks! :)

to be considered “microfiber” the fibers of the cloth must be 1/6th the size of a human hair. Norwex microfiber (the Norwex enviro cloth is a microfiber cloth) is 1/200th the size of a human hair. They also have silver imbedded in them (not applied like some other cloths) so they self-disinfect. They are very dense and can tackle just about any job with out any cleaners– just water. They’ve changed my lhousehold routine for sure– saved so much time and money. And yes, I sell them now– because they are so great I can’t stop talking about them :-) Uh, and bc my family wanted discounts ;-)

4. Paula M says

Wondering about the Fels Naptha being “natural soap”. I use 1/3 of a bar in my laundry soap recipe but wear gloves because the label says to not allow prolonged skin contact…. has anyone done research on this soap?

I personally have not. I included it in this list because it is a very common ingredient in many homemade recipes but I have personally not used it because I have my suspicions it would leave residue on my cloth diapers. I would not use it as a bath soap.

5. Emily says

What kind of pure oxygen bleach do you use? And where can you find it? I don’t have any cloth diapering stores in my area, but when I peruse through Amazon, I get overwhelmed! (I need to do a strip, as my daughter had yeast.)

I personally use Crunchy Clean (crunchyclean.com). I’ve heard great things about Nellie’s and BioKleen’s as well! Hope you get that yeast knocked out! I know it can be such a pain!

6. JoAnn says

Felsnapha is not a natural soap and shoudn’t be used on anything that is going to touch your skin. Try Dr. Bronners bar instead…it comes in unscented and several lovely secents, almond, peppermint, lavender…much nicer for our bodies and the environment. Love your post!!!

7. Tonia says

Love your homemade laundry cleaners , i just wondered how to remove an old curry stain from a beige sweatshirt? Thank you .

I could use some help. I bought new to me white shorts and capris, too, at Goodwill, yet when washing with homemade detergent (Powdered detergent ~borax, oxi-clean, washing soda, fels naptha soap, baking soda, and another ingredient)…when hanging them out…they were stained yellow, in a variety of spots. Suggestions? They were like new, so disappointed yet hoping someone may have a remedy? I think that white perhaps shouldn’t be washed in Borax?

I recently pulled out a tub of summer clothes that had been packed away for 2 years. The dingy, gross armpit stains were so bad that I thought the shirts were yeah. I used the hydrogen peroxide-baking soda-dish soap recipe to scrub and soak the shirts in. It took a couple of applications and washes, but they are as good as new! I’m so happy I didn’t lose my clothes :-)

Trying to think whether vinegar or lemon is the ultimate green cleaning weapon. Favorite vinegar cleaning tricks: the vinegar and hot water microwave cleaning trip;the vinegar and baking soda drain cleaner trick