Forget the flu shot! This year, fight back with food instead!
I’m excited to be joining the following 5 amazing bloggers in hosting a 5-week series that will arm you with recipes to stay healthy this season!
Come back each Wednesday as we reveal five different foods that are purported to support your immune system in the fight against the cold and flu viruses that run rampant this time of year.
What’s more, each post will be opened up to all our readers, who will be linking up their favorite recipes, with ideas for creative ways to serve them to their families!
This week’s flu-fighting food is PUMPKIN!
Pumpkin has always been one of my favorite foods. Along with the crisp, cool weather and colorful leaves, pumpkins make fall my favorite season!
Not only are they super yummy, but pumpkins also contain immunity boosters, like:
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin C
- other healthy components, such as essential fatty acids, protein and magnesium
- it is also a natural diuretic, aiding in flushing out body toxins
Now, on to a recipe for Probiotic Pumpkin Dip— where you can enjoy all these amazing health benefits AND indulge your sweet tooth!
Probiotic Pumpkin Dip
Yield 3 cups
- Combine pumpkin puree and yogurt. Add in spices. Stir in honey.
- Serve with gingerbread or spice cookies.
- This dip is perfect to take to a holiday party. It tastes sweet, with just a hint of honey. Maple syrup may be an alternate sweetener, but I didn’t test it.
- You can even eat it by itself as a pudding, but you might want to cut the honey a tad.
- Stir the dip into oatmeal or use it to spice up pancakes, muffins or breads.
*I modified this recipe from Taste of Home’s pumpkin dip recipe.
Be sure to check out the great pumpkin recipes and tips shared by the other amazing homemakers hosting this series!
Pumpkin Cran Smoothie @Christian Mommy Blogger
Creamy Pumpkin Soup @The Purposed Heart
Pumpkin Pear Muffins @Day2Day Joys
How to Roast a Pumpkin @ Intentional by Grace
Pumpkin Soup @ Quick and Easy, Cheap and Healthy
Stacy Makes Cents also has some great pumpkin recipes–and check out my pumpkin recipe round-up from last week if you need even more ideas! You can see all of the pumpkin recipes on my blog on this page!