I’m so excited to be able to share with you a review and recipe for one of my favorite ebooks–The Everything Beans Book!
I didn’t really grow up eating beans, but when I discovered them sometime in my 20’s, they quickly became one of my favorite foods! They are cheap, filling and full of good protein.
But you know I’m the humbled homemaker, right? That means I’m a humbled–not a gourmet!–cook. Really, I’m learning as I blog.
So, up until a few months back, I really didn’t know how else to use beans except as a side dish.
The Everything Beans Book has definitely made eating beans so much more fun!
In this 95-page ebook, Katie of Kitchen Stewardship includes tips for preparing and storing beans, as well as 30 bean recipes!
Recipes range from sandwiches like chickpea wraps to soups like turkey vegetable chili to sides like chicken rice-a-roni substitute to pasta with white (bean) sauce to main dishes like Mexican stuffed peppers to the grain-free fudgy black bean brownies (my GF daughter’s favorite!) for dessert!
With winter coming and no end in site for this tough economy, The Everything Beans Book was a great investment for my family.
Want to try a recipe out yourself?
Photo courtesy Kitchen Stewardship
Slow Cooker Lentil Rice Casserole
Yield 4-6 servings
- 3/4 c. dry green lentils
- 1/2 c. brown rice
- 1 c. water
- 2 1/2 c. chicken stock
- 1 c. tomato sauce (8 oz. can) or 1 6-oz. can tomato paste + and extra 1/2 c. stock
- 3/4 c. chopped onion
- 1 c. chopped green or red pepper
- 1 grated or finely chopped carrot
- 2 c. cooked, shredded chicken
- optional: other vegetables like spinach, broccoli
- 3 tsp. Italian seasoning or taco seasoning
- 2 cloves crushed garlic or 1/4-1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Dash pepper
- 1 c. grated cheese ( I prefer sharp cheddar, but try a Mexican blend with the taco seasoning or mozzarella with the Italian)
- optional: salsa or spaghetti sauce to serve
- Combine rice, lentils and water in crock pot. Soak overnight. (Do NOT turn crock pot on!)
- In the morning, drain the water and mix in all remaining ingredients except cheese.
- Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.
- Add cheese in 30 minutes before done.
Do you have any favorite bean dishes to share? Do you enjoy lentils?
Get The Everything Beans Book here!