|Image by nkzs
I recently read an article that broke my heart. It told of the millions of mothers around the world who discount their value of colostrum, the pre-milk, golden yellow liquid that breasts produce before milk arrives.
1. It provides the perfect nutrition specific to your baby’s needs.
2. It provides a massive amount of living cells that protect your baby against disease.
3. It provides the antibody IgA, which acts as a natural vaccine. (We don’t give vaccines at birth–but more on that in another post.)
4. It protects the baby’s gastrointestinal tract.
5. It provides protective white cells that destroy bad bacteria and viruses.
If you liked this post, you may also like my posts on lactation cookies, Why? Breastfeed & The Best Advice Ever, Before Baby Arrives and The First Two Weeks and The Breast Crawl. Check out the series introduction here.
- via RSS (like Google Reader/Google Friends Connect) here
- Subscribe for weekly e-mails here
- Subscribe to receive every post (3-4 times/week) via e-mail here
- Find me on Facebook here
- Follow me on Twitter here