Inside: This recipe for freezer-to-crockpot chicken fajitas is very healthy! The chicken, peppers, and onions are all fresh, and you create your own simple sauce.
Related: Want even more chicken freezer meals? Check out 10 Easy Freezer Meals.
By Kelly of New Leaf Wellness
I’m so excited to share my family’s favorite recipe for freezer-to-crockpot chicken fajitas with you. What I mean by “freezer-to-crockpot” is that you assemble the meal in a gallon-sized plastic freezer bag, freeze it, and then cook it later in your crockpot.
My favorite thing about freezer-to-crockpot meals is that you can prepare them ahead of time and then make them on days when you don’t have time to cook. There’s literally nothing easier than grabbing a meal from your freezer and dumping it in your crockpot. It takes probably 30 seconds total.
Here are some other awesome things about freezer-to-crockpot meals:
- There’s no cooking ahead of time so the recipes are very easy to prep.
- The meals cook for the first time out of the freezer and don’t taste like leftovers at all.
- You can take advantage of sales and freeze a couple at a time. (Most freezer meals will last in a standard fridge-freezer combo for at least three months.)
What I love about this recipe for freezer-to-crockpot chicken fajitas in particular is that it’s very healthy. The chicken, peppers, and onions are all fresh and you create your own simple sauce by adding apple cider vinegar, honey, and seasonings.
I first came up with this chicken fajita recipe for my slow cooker cookbook and then adapted it as a freezer recipe for my No Cook Freezer Meals cookbook. My family LOVES this recipe. I have made it many, many times. It’s just an easy, healthy, delicious meal your whole family will like.
Besides cooking it in your crockpot, you can cook it on your stovetop in a pinch. There have been times when I didn’t plan for lunch or dinner and then quickly thawed the frozen fajitas to cook on my stovetop. It’s hard to justify ordering take-out when you can have a healthy, delicious, homemade meal in 15 minutes or less.
Freezer-to-Crockpot Chicken Fajitas
- Label your freezer bag with the name of the recipe, cooking instructions, and "use-by" date. (I use these simple printable labels.)
- Add all ingredients.
- Remove as much air from the bag as possible, seal, and lay flat in your freezer for up to three months.
- The night before cooking, move the frozen bag to your refrigerator to thaw.
- The morning of cooking, pour contents of freezer bag into your crockpot and cook on “low” setting for 6 hours or until chicken is tender.
- Shred chicken and serve with cooked onions and peppers.
We like to eat our fajitas on tortillas with tomatoes, shredded lettuce, cheese, and guacamole. For a gluten-free version, serve on corn tortillas or rice.
Want more delicious, healthy recipes? Check out the recipe index here on The Humbled Homemaker! You might also enjoy Erin’s recipe for Easy, Creamy Lemon Pepper Chicken in the Crock Pot.
Have you ever frozen a meal for your crockpot before? Please share your thoughts in a comment below!
Dr. Kelly McNelis lives in Pittsburgh, PA with her husband and three young daughters. Kelly shares her favorite crockpot recipes and freezer meal sessions on her blog, New Leaf Wellness. You can connect with Kelly on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest.