I don’t know about your family, but the kitchen tends to be the center of our home.
It’s where we reminisce about the dishes our mothers created during our childhoods, and it’s the place where we work with our children to form new memories of our own.
I recently had to laugh to myself when I realized that one of my favorite recipes to cook now involves a food I hated when I was a little girl!
I’ve always been a veggie lover, but as a child I thought that cabbage was the one vegetable that I absolutely could not stand.
The only cabbage I remember my mom serving was boiled cabbage with a side of kielbasa. The smell reminded me of dirty socks.
I decided from a very young age that I would have nothing to do with it.
Fast forward to my early 30’s, and when we were visiting my hubby’s family in Mississippi a couple years ago, his sister served us a new cabbage dish–baked cabbage.
It was a hit.
I found this simple baked cabbage to be delicious and satisfying. And my hubby–who is more of a meat-and-potatoes man than veggie person–ate it up as well.
From then on, baked cabbage has become a staple in my side dish rotation. I like to spice it up with Real Salt seasonings.
I hope you enjoy this simple baked cabbage recipe as you reflect on how life’s good in the kitchen for your family as well!
Simple Baked Cabbage
- 1 head cabbage
- Olive oil or melted expeller-pressed coconut oil
- Sea salt, pepper or other seasonings of choice (We love using Real Salt seasonings!)
- Slice cabbage into big, round slices. Cut to your own desired thickness. Thinner slices will yield crispier cabbage.
- Lay cabbage slices one-layer deep on a cookie sheet.
- Generously drizzle cabbage slices with oil.
- Sprinkle desired seasonings on top of cabbage. We personally love the Real Salt Seasoning Salt on our baked cabbage.
- Cook for 40-45 minutes in a pre-heated over at 400 degrees F. My husband will sometimes finish it off with a quick broil in order to make it a little crispier, like he likes it best.