One of my absolute favorite quick and easy lunches AND quick and easy dinners is a very simple quesadilla. Quesadillas really take no time at all, and they are very easily customizable for anyone’s tastes.
But when this humbled homemaker first married 7 years ago, I made the simple quesadilla much too complicated!
When I was working as an English as a Second Language teacher and Spanish interpreter during my newlywed days, I remember telling one of my Hispanic friends how I wished I could learn how to make quesadillas.
My mom bought me a quesadilla maker (similar to a sandwich maker or waffle maker) for my first anniversary! Finally, I could add quesadillas to my menu plan!
After about, oh, five years of faithfully using my beloved quesadilla maker, it broke. And then I was back to square one: How in the world could I make this super simple meal all by myself?
Super Simple Quesadillas
- shredded cheese
- melted coconut or olive oil or butter
- optional: shredded, diced or cooked ground meat of choice (chicken, steak, ground beef or poultry, etc.)
- optional: diced veggies of choice (peppers, tomatoes, mushrooms, etc.)
- optional: cooked beans/legumes of choice (black, kidney, lentils, etc.)
- toppings: salsa and sour cream or plain yogurt
1. Heat oil of choice in a medium-large skillet on medium heat.
2. Place tortilla flat on a plate and sprinkle one half of it with cheese.
2. Sprinkle desired amount of meat, veggies and beans/legumes on top of cheese.
3. Sprinkle more cheese on top of meat/veggies/beans.
4. Fold tortilla in half.
5. Cook quesadilla on hot skillet for 2-3 minutes on each side. Be sure it doesn’t burn!
What’s your favorite quesadilla combination?
Top Image by Robert Banh
Want some more easy real food recipes? Check out my eBook: Real Food, Real Easy!
Subscribe below and don’t miss a post!