Guest Post by Kristy of Little Natural Cottage
Anytime I ask my children what they want for breakfast, the answers are always the same:
Pancakes or muffins.
These are two breakfast treats our family did without for a very long time when we went gluten-free a few years ago. Thankfully, I’ve discovered that it’s possible to enjoy yummy breakfast foods that are healthy and gluten-free (and even grain-free!).
My latest creation, Blueberry Applesauce Muffins, were a big time hit with my family! We all loved the recipe so much that I decided to add it to my recently updated version of The Cottage Mama Plans Her Summer Menu! (You’ll find it in the “breakfast favorites” section, along with my favorite smoothie, granola, and pancake recipes.)
Back to the Blueberry Applesauce Muffins: this recipe makes a rather large batch, which means you’ll have plenty to freeze for extra busy mornings.
Or, if you think like my five and three-year-old sons, it means you’ll get to eat five muffins for breakfast!
- • 1 cup softened butter
- • 2/3 cup olive or coconut oil
- • 2 cups sugar cane or xylitol
- • 4 eggs
- • 2 teaspoons pure vanilla
- • 4 teaspoons baking soda
- • 2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- • 1 cup mashed banana
- • 1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
- • 8 cups Shoshanna's Gluten-free Flour Mix
- • 1 tablespoon additional xantham gum
- • 1 teaspoon sea salt
- • ¼ cup ground flax seed
- • 1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- • a large mixing bowl
- • a beautiful serving plate
- 1. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- 2. Oil or line three muffin pans. (This recipe yields about 36 muffins!)
- 3. In a large bowl, mix the first five ingredients. Combine the baking soda and applesauce and stir it into the creamed mixture. Gently stir in mashed bananas and blueberries.
- 4. Combine the gluten-free flour, xanthan gum, sea salt, ground flax seeds and coconut flakes. Gently fold into the wet ingredients until everything is well mixed.
- 5. Spoon the batter into muffin cups (fill them to the top!).
- 6. Bake muffins in a preheated oven until they are golden brown, approximately 18 to 20 minutes.
- 7. Serve your healthy, delicious muffins on a pretty serving plate or platter, like this one! (I guarantee this will make your muffins taste even yummier!)
Random thoughts on the ingredients
- I love the high quality, hormone-free butter from Azure Standard.
- It’s a bit pricey compared to other natural sweeteners, but if I want to go sugar-free I use xylitol instead of sugar cane or sucanat.
- Watch out for high fructose corn syrup in your store-bought applesauce! I always opt for a natural, unsweetened brand (or organic, if it fits in the budget).
- This recipe features my favorite gluten-free flour blend ever: Shoshanna’s Gluten-free Flour Mix. And you can make it yourself–easy peasy!
- Most coconut flakes are loaded with sugar and sulphur. Again, choose a natural, unsweetened brand.
Along with a few of my favorite breakfast foods (like the muffin recipe here), The Cottage Mama Plans Her Summer Menu includes every thing from grainless dishes to whole grain, gluten-free favorites, fresh salads with homemade dressings, meat-based and meatless meals, skillet meals, slow cooker meals, and even a few ideas for the grill.
I love watching my family thrive on healthy, whole foods, and these recipes are nourishing and warm-weather-friendly!
This little guy is one of my faithful taste-testers, and HE says these recipes are family approved (especially the muffins)!
You might just find yourself sneaking that fifth muffin for breakfast… enjoy!
Is your family gluten-free? What are your favorite gluten-free flour blends?
Kristy Howard is a believer in Jesus Christ, a pastor’s wife, and homeschooling mother of five. She is passionate about living simply, naturally, and Biblically for the glory of God. Kristy is the owner of LittleNaturalCottage.com, where she furiously writes about her loves during nap time. Her most recent writing projects include Homeschooling Day by Day, The Cottage Mama Plans Her Menu ebook series, and a collaborative work and best-selling title, Trust Your Intuition.