Slow Cooker Lentil Rice Casserole
Yield 4-6 servings
- 3/4 c. dry green lentils
- 1/2 c. brown rice
- 1 c. water
- 2 1/2 c. chicken stock
- 1 c. tomato sauce (8 oz. can) or 1 6-oz. can tomato paste + and extra 1/2 c. stock
- 3/4 c. chopped onion
- 1 c. chopped green or red pepper
- 1 grated or finely chopped carrot
- 2 c. cooked, shredded chicken
- optional: other vegetables like spinach, broccoli
- 3 tsp. Italian seasoning or taco seasoning
- 2 cloves crushed garlic or 1/4-1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Dash pepper
- 1 c. grated cheese ( I prefer sharp cheddar, but try a Mexican blend with the taco seasoning or mozzarella with the Italian)
- optional: salsa or spaghetti sauce to serve
- Combine rice, lentils and water in crock pot. Soak overnight. (Do NOT turn crock pot on!)
- In the morning, drain the water and mix in all remaining ingredients except cheese.
- Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.
- Add cheese in 30 minutes before done.
Recipe by The Humbled Homemaker at https://thehumbledhomemaker.com/slow-cooker-lentil-rice-casserole/